Thursday, January 03, 2008

Printed Image in the West, an Online History

I came across a lovely resource this morning in my search for material relating to the teaching of the history of Graphic Arts. For a little background, I am particularly interested in the lack of this curriculum in the US - and realize that I was lucky at the University of New Mexico to have taken O.J. Rothrock's, History of Graphic Art. I am collecting syllabi from classes that I do find, and if you come across any - please send them to me at cperkins@philagrafika.org

The Printed Image in the West: History and Techniques

put together by Wendy Thompson from the Metropolitan Museum of Art's
Department of Drawings and Prints, includes wonderful illustrations and has information on woodcut, engraving, etching, drypoint, mezzotint, aquatint and lithography.


Two Views of the Head, 1746; Jacques-Fabien Gautier-Dagoty (French, 1716–1785) Plate 4 of Myologie complète en coleur et grandeur naturelle; Multiple-plate color mezzotint; Plate: 16 3/8 x 12 3/4 in. (41.6 x 32.4 cm)

No comments: